Monday, August 15, 2011

Freezer-Bound Pesto

My mother has a real passion for gardening and as a result, she has some magnificent flower and vegetable gardens.  She has always been incredibly generous sharing from her gardens, and now that we live a mere fifteen minutes away, she is constantly gifting us with fresh, seasonal vegetables. 

After my mom's basil started growing like crazy, she recently gifted me with bunches and bunches of basil!


I knew that we wouldn't be able to eat them fast enough so I decided to make some easy pesto to freeze for future use.

I threw the rinsed basil in the food processor with the stems on.  I didn't really take measurements of the ingredients but just added olive oil, garlic cloves, Parmesan cheese, shelled walnuts, salt and pepper to taste.


I pureed until I was left with a beautiful, vibrant pesto.



I split the pesto into two plastic containers.



I drizzled some extra olive oil on top of the pesto.  I also put some plastic wrap on top of the pesto to help seal it from the air.



The pesto went straight to our freezer and will be ready for use long after the summer is over.  For me, it is a great way to keep these great summer flavors alive all year long.

Tell me, what do you do to preserve your favorite summer ingredients for the rest of the year?

No comments:

Post a Comment