Friday, August 12, 2011

Blueberry Goat Cheese Pie

It's been a busy summer.

Three weddings and a wedding cake (and cupcakes) all within 5 weeks.  A fabulous holiday weekend at the Cape.  Training for my first OLY tri (T minus 2ish weeks).  Some Hugo-sitting and trips to visit family.  A continuous stream of veggies thanks to my CSA.  And who knows what else I've forgotten.  Oh, right, I turned 30 last week.

Bake a pie to celebrate with me!



Luckily my aunt knows me well, so when she showed up at camp, she came with a large bucket of blueberries in tow-- fresh from the farmers market that morning!  We plowed through half the bucket in 3 days, but I was determined to save enough to make a pie.  And not just any pie.  A blueberry goat cheese pie that first caught my eye watching and episode of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives with my parents.  I've been dreaming of it ever since, waiting anxiously for blueberry season!

There's another secret ingredient in the pie, can you spot it?

hint:  it's green!

Basil!  I was intrigued by its addition in the pie, and it added an interesting dimension to this delicious pie.  To keep this pie suitable for a friend who can't do cow's milk, I used coconut oil in the crumb topping.  One taster picked up on this and commented that she would almost like more coconut, so think about adding a little shredded coconut to the crumb topping if you like!

pre-bake


Blueberry Goat Cheese Pie
adapted from this recipe
Yield:  1 9" pie

I tried this pie crust, which worked out fine, but I don't think was my favorite.  Clearly I need to make more pie to come up with a go-to crust recipe ;)

1 pie crust (use your favorite recipe, or even one from the store)

For the filling:
4oz goat cheese, RT
1/2c almond milk (dairy would be fine)
1 large egg
scant 1/4c sucanat (or brown sugar)
1/4c white whole wheat flour (AP or whole wheat pastry would also work)
1/4t salt
loose 1/4c chopped basil
5c fresh blueberries

For the topping:
1/2c rolled oats
1/4c white whole wheat flour (see note about flours above)
1/4c sliced almonds
1/4c evaporated cane juice (sugar)
pinch of salt
3-4T coconut oil, melted  (or melted butter or a mild-flavored oil)

Prepare your pie crust and lay into 9"pie plate.  Flue or pinch the edges if you like.  Refrigerate the crust while you prepare the filling.

Preheat the oven to 350deg.

In a large bowl, whisk together goat cheese, milk and egg until the goat cheese is broken up well.  Add flour, salt and basil and mix together well.  Add blueberries and toss until coated.  Taste and adjust as you

In a small bowl, stir together the dry ingredients (oats through salt).  Add coconut oil, starting with 3T, and mix.  Add more oil if necessary, until moistened (there should be no dry ingredients, and the mixture will be crumbly in appearance).

Remove the pie crust from the fridge and pour in blueberry mixture.  Cover with the crumb topping and bake in preheated oven for 50-60min, until it has set and started to brown on top/edges.  Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate overnight, or at least a few hours before serving.




I will be making this again, for sure.  Perhaps even increasing the goat cheese, since I can't get enough ;)  What's your favorite type of pie??




No comments:

Post a Comment