Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Fig Infused Vodka Martini

I decided on a whim to make a small batch of infused vodka using some dried black mission figs I had on hand. I simply placed four of the figs into a wide-mouth mason jar, poured vodka over them, covered the jar and let it steep for about two weeks at room temperature. I shook the infusion about once per day. I also took care to store it away from direct sunlight.
On Saturday night, my first attempt at a homemade infusion was ready to take center stage in none other than.....a martini!! The drink making process was quite an experiment, but the final measurements below depict an equal balance of sweet to sour to bitter.

Fig Infused Vodka Martini
2 1/2 shots fig infused vodka - (about 2 ounces)
1 squeeze of fresh lemon juice - (about 1/4 lemon)
1 dash Angostura bitters- (about 1 teaspoon)
Combine ingredients in a shaker with ice. Strain into martini glass and garnish with half a fig slice.
The about measurements are depicted in parenthesis because I wasn't technically measuring the ingredients. Originally I juiced half a lemon into the shaker and whoa, it completely overpowered the martini. I have been known to underestimate the strength of a lemon, but I also love a citrus counterpart. I easily tempered this by topping the drink off with more of the vodka, which is delightfully figgy and sweet, but not intoxicatingly so.As far as the bitters are concerned, I purchased my first bottle for the occasion. Angostura is the most basic of cocktail bitters and a tiny bottle will only cost you about $8. Despite the fact that this was my first time crafting a cocktail with it, I knew a little dash would go a long way. The fig infused vodka lends a depth and potency while the lemon some brightness and the bitters serve to balance these equally sweet and sour parts. If you follow me on Instagram, (daisy21) you saw what my Saturday night consisted of firsthand! I was perfectly content to stay in and sip this while watching Sweet Home Alabama on TV. Have you ever infused vodka or another type of liquor? What did you make with it?

No comments:

Post a Comment