Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Fresh Out The Oven

A. Bova & Sons Inc. Modern Bakery
North End's Famous Italian Bread
Better known as Bova's Bakery. I'm not here to talk about their divine pastries, or their cream puffs and whoopie pies made with real whip cream, nor their eclairs and strawberries coated in rich chocolate. Not their Sicilian pizza or arancini, or the fact that they are open 24 hours a day. (Hello late night cannolis and cakes.) No, today I am here simply to rave about what Bova's does best. Their bread. Wafting through the air as I round the block onto Prince Street - approaching the corner where Bova's sits at 134 Salem Street is a buttery sweet aroma combined with a fresh whiff of doughy right-out-the-oven baked bread scent. Bova's bakers are working all day long, so you're bound to get a super fresh and if your lucky, still warm in your grasp loaf. You can help but dig right in.
Whoops wrong camera setting there. Last night I chose the signature Scali Bread ($2.50).
A wide loaf of of braided dough with a golden brown flaky crust, the edges coated in Sesame seeds, and a soft chewy inside.
I housed a good hunk of it on the short walk home and didn't stop there.
I poured a small dish of olive oil sprinkled with red pepper flakes and dipped. I defrosted my vodka cream sauce and reheated it over the stove, dunking in more Scali every time I walked over to stir.
Adam helped do some damage to that loaf as well. As I cooked the farfalle I thought to myself - must.not.consume.any.more.bread.
But when I prepared the dinner plate, the thick slice of Scali completed it.
I mean that is why I bought the bread after all, to pair it with dinner.
Along with my dueling dishes of farfalle in leftover vodka cream sauce, which I swear tasted even better this time around, I sauteed some spinach in olive oil. Pretty simple, as my dinners usually go.
Tonight was a serious bread binge. Bova's is good for that every so often. They're also good for a late night calzone or cannoli (or both) as previously mentioned. You can't go wrong with a 24 hour bakery down the street. You just can't go wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment