Thursday, May 6, 2010

Tortellini with Peas and Prosciutto

If you are looking for something quick, easy and tasty then this recipe is for you.  It comes from the April 2010 issue of Food Network Magazine and it is one of a few recipes I really want to try from this issue.  The recipe states that it will take 25 minutes to cook but it really doesn't take any longer than it takes to boil a pot of water.

I don't know about you but one package of tortellini is never enough for me and Steve.  One bag is less than a pound but aside from that Steve and I have big appetites and I like a little leftover for lunch.  I used two bags of frozen toretellini.  Steve had two bowls, I had one and there is just about a lunch portion left.  Since I added more pasta I thought I should increase the other ingredients slightly.  I added one more clove of garlic, a little extra tomato paste, a little more pasta water and about an extra half cup of peas.  I didn't have any cream but I used a little whole milk and it worked just fine for me.

Tortellini with Peas and Prosciutto

As seen in Food Network Magazine
April, 2010

Serves 4 (teeny tiny people)

Ingredients:

Kosher salt
1 pound meat-filled tortellini
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
4 ounces prosciutto or pancetta, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 tbsp tomato paste
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

Directions:

1.  Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.  Add the tortellini and cook as the label directs.

2.  Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat.  Add the olive oil and prosciutto and cook until crisp, 3 to 4 minutes.  Stir in the garlic and tomato paste and cook until fragrent, about 1 minute.  Ladle in about 1 cup of the pasta cooking water and simmer until reduced by about half, 3 to 4 minutes.  Add the cream and simmer until slightly thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. 

3.  About 2 minutes before the tortellini are done, add the peas to the boiling water and cook until just tender.  Drain the tortellini and peas and add to the skillet, tossing to coat with the sauce.  Stir in the parsley.  Sprinkle with the parmesan cheese. 

Click here for a printable version of Tortellini with Peas and Prosciutto.



No comments:

Post a Comment