Monday, May 31, 2010

North | 26 Restaurant & Bar

I've walked by North 26 located in the Millennium Bostonian Hotel countless times. In fact, Adam and I were walking by Sunday morning with a different brunch destination in mind when we spotted an open table on the patio and decided, why not? The host greeted us warmly and offered the table he noticed us eying. The breakfast menu looked pretty standard, broken down into sections such as farm fresh eggs, the griddle & waffle, favorites, and cereals.
It looked pricey. It was pricey. But I suppose that's to be expected from any hotel restaurant. I started with the Perfect Bloody Mary ($8). Looks pretty perfect to me, appropriately garnished and everything.
There was even a seasoned rim - someone behind the bar was paying attention to detail.
Adam ordered the Fresh Squeezed Grapefruit Juice ($4)
It was a refreshing blend of tart and sweet.
It was h-o-t out. I am loving the heat though. We both ordered our favorites, no doubt off the "favorites" section of the menu. Our dishes were delivered in no time, along with ice waters, mini ketchup bottles and jars of jam.
After digging in, Adam exclaimed this was one of the best breakfasts he's ever tasted. He's not the type to use that statement lightly.
He ordered the Red Flannel Hash ($14) House-cured corned beef hash with two poached eggs & hollandaise.
I've had many versions of Eggs Benedict over the years. I'm not overly picky - I like my poached eggs anywhere from slightly runny to very runny. I think egg yolk variety, within reason, is good for you. I've had this dish with avocado, asparagus, tomato, spinach florentine, you name it, I'll try it on my Benedict.
North 26's traditional version the Bostonian Benedict ($13) was flawless. Two poached eggs, Berkshire ham & hollandaise on our signature English muffin.
It's tough to even put into words how amazing their signature English Muffins are. Just stare at that picture for a minute. They were actually reminiscent of a cornbread consistency. The taste was oh so rich yet fluffy at the same time. Golden brown and crispy on the top with a moist buttery inside, perfect for soaking up every last drop of the mildly runny egg yolk.
The generous slices of Berkshire ham were smokey and flavorful. The poached eggs sat undisturbed with their bright yellow yolk just waiting to be exposed, surrounded by a fluffy oval of egg white bathed in a creamy savory Hollandaise sauce. The homefried potatoes were crispy crunchy and seasoned just right.
While the prices might be a little steep, I believe the food was worth it. I was impressed with our excellent breakfast drinks and dishes, as well the attentiveness of our waitstaff.
I decided to check out the hotel grounds and lobby while I was here. A bubbling fountain in the small courtyard welcomes you inside. 

In they lobby I was surprised to see they had a fire burning! A cozy touch, but it's 90 degrees outside! Crazy. 


The zen bookshelves meets zebra stools and damask couches meets large gold apples made for a unique atmosphere in the reception lounge. 

After I saw what there was to see of the Millennium Bostonian Hotel, we headed home to prep for Gretchen and Derek's patio opening party. To Be Continued....
North 26 on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment