Wednesday, May 26, 2010

MKT - Financial District

Market is the bar located at 21 Broad Street; not to be confused with Market the restaurant at the W Hotel located at 100 Stuart Street. While I've heard great things regarding the latter, it remains on my "to-eat" list for now. The former, commonly abbreviated as MKT was where I spent this past Wednesday evening.
I have actually been to MKT once before, that being said, I only saw one floor out of three and didn't get a chance to experience the roof deck or try the food. The decor at Market was not at all what I expected. It was surprisingly fresh and unique. The exposed wooden beams and wood floors give it a rustic, almost historic feel. Regal looking red velor chairs surround the tables on the outskirts of the clean circular bar with black lacquer counters and modern beige bar stools. Funky red chandeliers hang in the center and the far corner of the room.
I enjoyed the atmosphere once I got used to the idea of it. The back (or front - depending on which way you walk in) is a smaller section with a bar similar in style that runs length wise across the sleek room.
I believe on weekends they charge a $10 cover, however I recall that night out back in December my sister and I arrived super early, perhaps a few minutes before 9:30 and somehow dodged that bullet. Pictured with our cousin Kate, we had a super fun night. They make a strong $8 vodka tonic. Or I'm just a lightweight. Most likely it's a combination of both. On the sweltering 88 degree evening that was Wednesday here in Boston, I poured Adam and I a new favorite before we headed out, lets call it the Greyhound with a twist.
Svedka Vodka and Tropicana Ruby Red Grapefruit juice, topped off with a splash of tonic. One of the more refreshing ways I've discovered to mix my favorite alcohol. Another refreshing on a hot day drink, The Moscow Mule ($10), was ordered upon arrival at the MKT roof deck.
Described as served in a copper mug - this was not the case. Seriously, why even write that on the menu?! So, huffing and puffing up four flights of stairs lead us to Sausage Fest 2010. I was looking like mmm the 5th girl to grace the roof decks presence this evening.
Just observing the scene....
The female bartender was prompt, however disgruntled. She couldn't manage a smile and poured our drinks with an annoyed sense of urgency. Apparently she was the only one serving the roof deck of about 50 patrons, which included taking food orders. Rough night?
We met our friends Ashley and Ethan and meandered to a spot in the corner against the wraparound counter covered in a day old layer of pollen. My Moscow Mule wasn't at all impressive. In fact, it paled in comparison to the real thing.
I took some scenery shots. Looking out:
Looking up:
Looking to the left:
Adam questioned where the pool was; which would be not on this roof deck. (Confusion was caused because earlier he saw me scanning through this article that Ashley sent.) For atmosphere with a pool I suggest heading to the Colonnade Hotel or Splash Ultra Lounge. (Maybe on our next roof deck outing!?) For my second round I decided to switch to beer. At $10 a pop, I felt I wasn't getting my monies worth for a mixed drink. Initially the bartender overcharged me (ten dollars for a beer - really?) but I quickly pointed out to her there was no way this Kona Longboard on tap cost as much as my previous mixed drink. She concurred realizing it was only $5 and provided me the correct change.
The four of us grabbed a table on the other side of the deck and munched on Nachos ($9) and BBQ Chicken Pizza ($10) as the sun went down. The BBQ Chicken Pizza was your standard bar grub. It wasn't amazing but it satisfied the craving.
I should mention that four floors up you can order only off the "bar bites" menu. Ah so the lovely view does come with an exception. The nachos were tasty, unfortunately there was no guacamole to be found on them nachos (or fortunately for Adam.)
The fresh scallions and grated Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top was a nice touch. As the wind picked up we headed downstairs to the first floor where we learned it was Reggae Wednesday!
The band played classic cover songs with reggae inspired beats.
It was nice to be able to take our drinks outside and hear the band through the floor to ceiling windows. We had some photo shoots at what would be the entrance at 75 State Street. It's not an enclosed patio, but there are a few tables and chairs in the secluded-from-the-street brick alleyway. Market's roof deck doesn't have the most breathtaking views, but at least its got a small window of cityscape and a night sky backdrop in one direction.
It's not one of the most polished roof decks you'll ever sip a drink on, but it's comfortable enough. The bartender up their certainly wasn't emitting any friendly vibes, however at least I didn't feel neglected and her service was prompt. The Reggae band on the first floor spiced up the night with upbeat jams and good fun. The indoor ambiance at Market is a welcome change to what I often reference as the mecca of Irish Pubs and shot inducing clubs. For beating the Wednesday night heat with good company and good tunes, I'll take it. I'd even recommend it.
MKT on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment