Monday, May 17, 2010

Private Wine Tasting at the Wine Bottega

This past Saturday, I had the privilege of attending a private wine tasting at the Wine Bottega.  This wine tasting was organized for my sorority's local alumnae in the Boston area.  I was excited for the event not only  to meet some new alumnae but to finally check out the Wine Bottega, which I had heard many wonderful things about.

The Wine Bottega is a small wine shop located in the North End.  When I walked in, I was impressed by the variety of wine located in such a small shop.  In fact, they focus on small production and hand crafted wines which is one of the reasons they were named one of the top U.S. natural wine shops by Food and Wine Magazine.  The  store was bright and airy and smelled deliciously like garlic from neighboring restaurants.  I was led downstairs to the tasting room and I immediately felt like I was in someone's private wine collection.  The room had dark wood beams and dim lighting with a large wooden table in the center of the room. 


Downstairs, I was greeted by the store's proprietor, Kerri Platt.  While I've been to a few different wine tastings at wine shops, restaurants and vineyards, nobody has come across as so passionate about her craft as Kerri.  For the next two hours, Kerri led us through a journey of wine starting with some sparkling white and ending in a sparkling red.  She talked not only about each wine but also answered some of our general questions like the emerging trend of boxed wines.  Her attitude was so laid-back and approachable which made us comfortable to ask questions without feeling intimidated.






We of course also indulged in some generous fontina cheese and rosemary crackers as we sipped on our wine.


I loved so many of the wines we tasted but I managed some self control and only purchased three bottles - a delicious sparkling red, a dry rose, and mild Barberas. 


We had a great time and of course couldn't leave without taking an obligatory group shot. 


I'm really looking forward to heading back to the Wine Bottega for some of their future wine events, which you can learn more about here.  Thank you Roxanne for planning such a fun event and a special thanks to Kerri Platt for a wonderful tasting experience and for imparting all of her knowledge.

The Wine Bottega is located at 341 Hanover Street in the North End.

No comments:

Post a Comment